Certification manual in hand, bandanna in your hair and secret sister gifts in your duffle. You are ready for Girls Camp 2017. Maybe this is your first year. Maybe it’s your last. Maybe your parents are making you go. Whatever your situation get ready for a week of nature and fun. Whether you’ve been to camp before or you are a first year Beehive I have some tips that will hopefully enhance your camping or glamping experience.
- Wear bug spray. It’s sticky. It’s gross. It will help.
- Get to know EVERYONE. Yes, this is a super fun opportunity to be with the ones you love most but it is also an opportunity to branch out and get to know other girls and leaders a lot better. Maybe even find someone who is nervous about being at camp and try to help them have a great experience.
- Learn to cook something new! Everything tastes better when you’re camping. You could even pass something off in your camp manual or personal progress! You’re so great at going that extra mile.
- Sing the cheesy songs. They may seem lame but they are what will bring you joy come December. They will also be the soundtrack to your memories of camp…is that cheesy enough?
- Be on time. You may not know this but there was a TON of planning that went into this week. When you show up when you should it goes such a long way for your leaders and the rest of the group. “R. E.S.P.E.C.T. find out what it means to me!” Okay, I’ll stop.
- Share your testimony. Maybe you’ve been on the fence about this in years past or maybe you do it every year. This is one of the best parts of camp and you want to be part of it. Trust me. If you are nervous say it at the beginning so you can sit back and enjoy the rest of the meeting.
- Phones-whatever the rules are—try to follow them. If it is a no phone policy you will have an idea of how the rest of us had to “rough” it back in the day 🙂
A few years ago I watched, “Once I was a Beehive” on Netflix because, why not? I was laughing and crying and felt all sentimental about girls camp. If you need a pre-camp or post-camp pick-me-up—watch it.
We are rooting for you. Wear that camp shirt with pride and you will shine.