In an attempt to get more out of scripture study, I’ve started studying a new way. It’s been so enlightening and helpful that I want to share it with you!
I decided to get really practical. We recently had a Relief Society activity where the presenter talked about finding power in the words of Christ. She talked about how when we are feeling overwhelmed, scared, lonely, or exhausted (to name a few) we can use the scriptures to help us feel better. So, each day, I’ve picked a feeling that is difficult for me or people I know and I’ve looked for five scriptures that can give me power in that situation. Here’s an example:
Five scriptures for when you feel afraid
- 2 Timothy 1:7. For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
- 2 Kings 6:16 And he answered, fear not; for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.
- D&C 10:55 Therefore, whosoever belongeth to my church need not fear, for such shall inherit the kingdom of heaven.
- D&C 50:41 Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world, and you are of them that my Father hath given me.
- D&C 6:34 Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail.
Studying the scriptures this way has helped me to see the scriptures as a real tool that has power to help me with temptations and challenges, rather than just a book that is good to read.
How have the scriptures given you power in your life?