It’s February! And Valentines is coming. Or as some of you may refer to it “Single Awareness Day.” Excuse me for a moment while I get on my soapbox.
I have always looked forward to Valentine’s Day, and not because it’s been associated with romantic love. I see Valentine’s as a chance to celebrate love and charity and to show the people I love how much I care about them. Valentine’s doesn’t have to make you painfully aware that you don’t have a date. But it can give you an opportunity to express love to friends and family and complete strangers!
This February, focus on feeling and sharing God’s love.
Love is the very essence of the gospel, the noblest attribute of the human soul. Love is the remedy for ailing families, ill communities, and sick nations. Love is a smile, a wave, a kind comment, and a compliment. Love is sacrifice, service, and selflessness.
Here are some ideas on how you can celebrate love this month:
- Read this message from President Monson
- Make Valentines for people that you admire. Be honest and sincere.
- Mail a letter to someone you haven’t talked to in a while.
- Make some treats to deliver anonymously with notes of encouragement and love.
- Give lots of hugs and make a point to tell the people you love how much you love them.
- Volunteer at a food bank or homeless shelter.